Sunday, October 19, 2008

MUSIC AND ALZHEIMERS:

Betty and I went to see Kathy Mattea perform tonight. She is a country/folk singer who was well known in the 90's for songs like "Where've You Been" and "18 wheels and a dozen roses".

She told a story about visiting her mother, who had Alzheimers. She said she took out her guitar to tune it one day, struck a chord, and her mother launched right into the first verse of one of Kathy's songs. The amazing thing was that her mother had never sung in front of Kathy before. She had always been tone-deaf and too embarrassed to sing. Now, however, she had forgotten that she couldn't sing, and it came out perfectly on pitch. Kathy said that long after her mother had ceased to recognize her, they could still sing "You are my sunshine" together. It was their last real connection.

How deep and powerful music must be, that when all else is forgotten we may still remember a simple tune. How wonderful that all of my grandchildren are growing up with parents who value music.

CONFERENCE RATING SYSTEM?

Betty was showing me today how any conference talk is now available on the internet for immediate viewing. We enjoyed watching the reaction when Thomas Monson announced a new temple for Rome. How fun!

It occurred to me that since the talks are available in this format, we now have a desperate need for a rating service that could tell us which conference talks would be most beneficial and entertaining to watch. A highly inspirational talk would receive a rating of 10. If you found your mind wandering, the talk might be a 5. If you fell asleep, well.......

I would sort of like to put together a team of experts to rate the next conference, and I thought my own beloved family might be the right place to start. Please contact me to reserve your spot on the team.

OK! Ok! I'm kidding!!.......sort of.


CHAD AND DILBERT:

Chad's rather amazing story of how the use of written affirmations has had such a tremendous effect on his business has been a great inspiration to me. It is his story to tell, not mine, but I recommend you talk to him sometime soon.

"According to your faith, so be it unto you". "If you can believe, all things are possible to him that believeth". These biblical quotes may not be exact, (they are off the top of my lightly religious head), but they are only two among a great many that teach us that we are responsible for creating our own reality.

That which we give thought to, we begin to attract. That which we give thought to that brings forth strong emotion, we attract more quickly.

Chad success is a result of tapping into natural laws. All of us are capable of amazing things.

Now, if I could only figure out what I really want.

FAVORITE RECENT GRANDCHILD QUOTES:

Alexis: "Grandpa, tell me the truth!

Lainie: "'ell no, mommy"

1 comment:

courtney said...

Dad came back over the other night just before He and mom went to the concert and brought up the worst diaper situation. Now, I have experience a really bad diager in my day so I asked if he had to wash up Eli's back and down his legs, and Dad replied, "oh, have you had that happen? I guess mine wasn't that bad."

I thought it was so funny! Thanks for watching the kids, we love it when you and mom stop by!